Christian Wilkins- Dolphins 1st Round Draft Pick / Moneyball / How to Find the Right Realtor to Sell Your Home
Congratulations to Christian Wilkins, the newest member of the Miami Dolphins. I am by no means an expert at evaluating football talent, but I love his well balanced mix of humility, energy, and swagger and hope he finds a fruitful home with the Miami Dolphins.
Last night’s NFL Draft got me thinking a lot about talent.
How is talent perceived, valued, and chosen?
In the movie Moneyball, Brad Pitt plays the role of Billy Bean, the washed out professional baseball player who many expected would be a tremendous professional baseball player. As manager of the Oakland Athletics, Billy learns from his own failings and disrupts the traditional thought processes on how talent is measured and selected.
Billy Bean challenges his scouts’ measures of talent. Traditionally scouts in baseball made mistakes by looking at the wrong stats, personal appearance, and other traits that have a low correlation to success as a baseball team.
By re-evaluating his strategy, the 2002 Athletics with less than $45 million in salary, competed with larger market teams such as the New York Yankees who spent over $125 million that season. As a result the Athletics made it to the playoffs in 2002 and 2003.
70% of sellers list with the first real estate agent they speak to.
When sellers pick a realtor do they make the same mistakes as traditional baseball scouts?
On a daily basis these are common errors I see sellers make and it costs them a lot of time and money:
- Picking a realtor who has more listings than he or she can handle.
- Settling on a realtor who lives and works across town from the listing.
- Choosing a lazy realtor who doesn’t actively market his or her listings.
- Selecting a realtor completely based on physical looks vice ability to correctly value a property.
What questions should a seller ask a realtor?
- How many active listings do you have on the market?
If you are going to be a number vice a priority, find another realtor.
- Where are your listings located?
Make sure the realtor focuses on where your home is located.
- What is your marketing plan?
Find a realtor who will clearly lay out a marketing plan that includes action items like open houses, broker opens, print marketing, and digital marketing.
- What are the best comparable homes that sold in the past year or two year timeframe?
- What value do the comps support for my home? Ensure you are realistic about the value of your home.
Brian C. Smith- EWM Realty International
Edgewater 🚤 | Miami Beach ⛱ | Luxury Real Estate 🍾